Monday, April 4, 2011

Followers and Forgiveness

I started a blog about food and titled it "Fishsticks, Fiddlesticks and Failing Forward".  Originally, I wanted to force myself into a good relationship with food.  I've moved from hate/hate to love/hate and I'm calling it progress. 

My original "About Me" said: "I am a frustrated mom who decided to feed my finicky kids fish sticks while I form my own friendship with food. I frequently find myself swearing fiddlesticks (and other words beginning with f) while I fail forward in my adventure with food. I also occasionally talk fingernails. Apparently, unbeknown to me prior to this blog, I have a love affair with ALL words beginning with f. All this time, I thought it was just the one! Disclaimer: Fish sticks is a catchall word for stuff my kids will eat. Literalists beware. Hyperbole is my friend." 

That's when I started to realize that I had a special relationship with F words that extended far beyond what I considered to be a one word category.   I also simultaneously at the same time realized that I might possibly be what some might call weird.  I've accepted it and moved from unconscious incompetence to conscious incompetence and I'm calling it progress.  

I've also come to accept that if I keep this blog singularly focused on food:
1. I'll post about three times every other year,
2. I'll be holding my own feet to the fire about resolving my cooking issues
3. Why on earth would I want to do that?
4. I'll be continually awash with guilt for numbers 1-3.
5. Oprah says not to awash myself in guilt so I'm not going to. 
6. Also, I'm pretty sure Jesus said something about that, too, although I really don't think blog guilt was exactly what he was aiming at...nonetheless...
7. These numbers are erroneous.
8. Case in point

So, I'm here asking forgiveness from my 12 faithful followers for changing the rather benign, albeit strange title of "Fishsticks, Fiddlesticks and Failing Forward" to the broader, albeit possibly offensive title "Writing with F Words".  I realize that looking at your "blogs I follow" and seeing that title could make you think you've been somehow spammed and cause you to say something like "what the f***?!"  I will not be offended if you "unfollow".  My low-teens follower numbers will cloak your decision in anonymity.

For those of you who do stick around, I promise to still write about Food (three times every other year), I also guarantee there will be plenty of Failing, hopefully with Forward movement. But now I Feel the Freedom to also write about my other Favorite F words: Friends, Family, Faith, Fingernails, France and Farming (gardening doesn't start with an f).  I also think the new title is Freaking Funny.

Your Friend,
Jenny
P.S. What is your favorite f word? 

5 comments:

  1. I think your new blog title is FUNKILICIOUS ! My new favorite "F" word is FREEDOM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know my favorite F word. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantasmagorical! :-) Great post, Jenny ... I'm finally on board!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. flatulence.

    and oh by the way, i LOVE the new blog title.

    ReplyDelete